A yearly count has found fewer people sleeping rough in Sydney’s inner-city streets and parks.
In the early hours of Tuesday 24 February, a team of volunteers counted 296 people sleeping rough in the City of Sydney’s area.
The figure is down 14% from the 346 people counted in February last year.
Crisis and temporary accommodation beds were almost at capacity, with 348 people staying in them on the night.
“Any reduction in the number of people experiencing homelessness is welcome news. NSW Government agencies as well as our own outreach teams and services we fund across the city work tirelessly every day to find limited available emergency beds and, ultimately, increasingly scarce long-term housing,” Lord Mayor of Sydney, Clover Moore AO said.
The City of Sydney has seen a sharp spike in the number of people sleeping rough living with complex mental and physical health challenges, and drug and alcohol issues since the Covid-19 pandemic.
“We’re seeing the numbers come down but up to 40% of those remaining on the streets are dealing with long-term homelessness due to complex health issues and a severe lack of beds in psychiatric wards and transitional and long-term housing with specialised mental health support,” the Lord Mayor said.
“Many of the people lucky enough to be granted social housing can struggle to keep their tenancy without support. More long-term secure housing with built-in health, social and welfare support onsite such as Common Ground in Camperdown would get more people, particularly those with complex needs, off the streets immediately.”
We estimate about 20% of the people sleeping rough in the local area are not Australian residents, leaving them ineligible for housing, social security and most crisis and temporary accommodation.
“This group of people including international students, temporary visa holders and people seeking asylum are seriously vulnerable, with little support on offer and almost no access to supported housing,” the Lord Mayor said.
“Giving them better access to pathways into housing will significantly reduce the number of people sleeping rough on city streets.
“The NSW Government must step up. We need more long-term homes available for everyone who needs them.”
The City of Sydney has held street counts since 2010 to track the numbers of people sleeping rough in the local area. The results help guide responses to reduce the number of people experiencing homelessness.
For media enquiries contact Roxanne Macara. Phone 0438 554 640 or email rmacara@cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au.
For interviews with Lord Mayor of Sydney, Clover Moore AO contact Paul Mackay. Phone 0436 816 604 or email pmackay@cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au.
